I have heard some young people complain about the new USDA school lunch requirements, but I don’t see anything wrong with them. We all should eat this way! Here, from the St. Paul Public Schools Nutrition Services, are the guidelines. Tell me what you think of them.
- Students are required to take a fruit or vegetable with every meal
- A weekly requirement for new vegetable subgroups served: dark green, red/orange, beans/peas, starchy, and “other” to ensure a variety of vitamins and minerals are available
- Weekly ranges for meat/meat alternates, grains, fruits, and vegetables, with daily minimums
- At least half of the grains offered must be whole grain, transitioning to all whole grain-rich products by July 1, 2014
- Zero trans fat in all items, and saturated fat limited to less than 10% of calories
- Calorie ranges with minimum and maximum levels for each age group at lunch
- Water will be available during all lunch periods at our “hydration stations”